Financial Aid


Need-based aid is only available for domestic students. To apply for aid, a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted separately. More information is available through the UCSB Financial Aid Office.

Non-Resident / International

The Department covers the cost of non-resident tuition (NRST) during the first year for rotating PhD students. NRST for non-resident Masters students or non-rotating first-year PhD students is not covered by the Department. 

Out-of-state students who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens should take steps to establish California residency as soon as possible upon arrival. A one year residency in California is required to qualify.

International students cannot obtain residency. However, the NRST for international students in the PhD program is covered by a fellowship in year 2 and then after advancement to candidacy in year, the NRST is waived until the completion of the degree. Eligibility for the reduced nonresident tuition is measured in calendar years, and begins with the first academic quarter following advancement to candidacy. Leave of absence and unregistered quarters will not extend a student's eligibility. A student who continues to be enrolled or who re-enrolls three calendar years after advancing to candidacy will be charged the full nonresident rate in effect at the time. For updated information, go to the Office of the Registrar Fee Reductions page.